2001 population: 878,866
(Source: Statistics Canada)
Calgary is a city in the province of Alberta. It is at the confluence of the
Bow and Elbow rivers.
The community was named for an estate on the Island of Mull, Scotland.
Former and merged community names include:
· Fort Brisebois
The community began around a fort established here by the mounted police, in 1875.
With the 1914 discovery of the Turner Valley gas and oil field west of here, Calgary grew into a corporate center for the industry.
Filming location for 2005 movie, "Brokeback Mountain" and 2000 movie, "Shanghai Noon" and 1978 movie, "Days of Heaven" and 2007 movie, "The Assassination of Jesse James" and 1978 movie, "Superman," and sequels "Superman II" and "Superman III"
Well-known residents have included:
· Bill Gadsby, hockey player
· Duff Gibson, 2006 Olympics gold medal winner (men's skeleton)
· Mark Tewksbury, Olympic gold medal winner (backstroke)
· Herbie Lewis, hockey player
· Carla MacLeod, 2006 Olympics gold medal winner (ice hockey)
Local festivals include:
· Irish Dance Ceili - March 16, 2007
· High Performance Rodeo - Jan. 3-20, 2007
· International Blues Festival - June 21-24, 2007
· Calgary Folk Music Festival - July 26-29, 2007
· International Festival of Animated Objects - Jan. 19-28, 2007
· Dragon Boat Race & Cultural Festival - Aug. 24-26, 2007
· Heritage Day - Aug. 6, 2007
· Calgary Stampede - July 6-15, 2007
Dates often change. Check Calgary web sites and events links in the sections below.
Nearby parks & recreation: Edworthy Park, Griffith Woods, Fish Creek Provincial Park, Nose Hill Park, Riveredge Park/Sandy Beach
Performing arts: Alberta Ballet, Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
Attractions: Devonian Gardens, Spruce Meadows, Canada Olympic Park, Calgary Tower, Calgary Zoo, Calgary Stampede
Sports moments: Site of the 1988 Winter Olympics
Sports teams: Vipers (Northern League Baseball), Flames (NHL), Stampeders (CFL)
Historic sites and museums: Nickle Arts Museum, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum, Calgary Police Service Interpretive Centre, Leighton Art Centre, Naval Museum of Alberta, Olympic Hall of Fame & Museum, Fort Calgary, Lougheed House, Glenbow Museum, Museum of the Regiments, Heritage Park Historical Village, Grain Academy Museum, Aero Space Museum, Calgary Science Centre
Colleges and universities: Bow Valley College, SAIT Polytechnic, University of Calgary, Mount Royal College
Transit: Calgary Transit