2001 population: 878,866
(Source: Statistics Canada)
Calgary is a city in the province of Alberta. It is at the confluence of the
Bow and Elbow rivers.
The community was named for an estate on the Island of Mull, Scotland.
Former and merged community names include:
· Fort Brisebois
The community began around a fort established here by the mounted police, in 1875.
With the 1914 discovery of the Turner Valley gas and oil field west of here, Calgary grew into a corporate center for the industry.
Filming location for 2005 movie, "Brokeback Mountain" and 2007 movie, "The Assassination of Jesse James" and 1978 movie, "Superman," and sequels "Superman II" and "Superman III" and 2000 movie, "Shanghai Noon" and 1978 movie, "Days of Heaven"
Well-known residents have included:
· Herbie Lewis, hockey player
· Carla MacLeod, 2006 Olympics gold medal winner (ice hockey)
· Bill Gadsby, hockey player
· Duff Gibson, 2006 Olympics gold medal winner (men's skeleton)
· Mark Tewksbury, Olympic gold medal winner (backstroke)
Local festivals include:
· International Festival of Animated Objects - Jan. 19-28, 2007
· Dragon Boat Race & Cultural Festival - Aug. 24-26, 2007
· Heritage Day - Aug. 6, 2007
· Calgary Stampede - July 6-15, 2007
· Irish Dance Ceili - March 16, 2007
· High Performance Rodeo - Jan. 3-20, 2007
· International Blues Festival - June 21-24, 2007
· Calgary Folk Music Festival - July 26-29, 2007
Dates often change. Check Calgary web sites and events links in the sections below.
Nearby parks & recreation: Edworthy Park, Griffith Woods, Fish Creek Provincial Park, Nose Hill Park, Riveredge Park/Sandy Beach
Performing arts: Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra, Alberta Ballet
Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
Attractions: Calgary Zoo, Calgary Stampede, Devonian Gardens, Spruce Meadows, Canada Olympic Park, Calgary Tower
Sports moments: Site of the 1988 Winter Olympics
Sports teams: Stampeders (CFL), Vipers (Northern League Baseball), Flames (NHL)
Historic sites and museums: Olympic Hall of Fame & Museum, Fort Calgary, Lougheed House, Nickle Arts Museum, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum, Calgary Police Service Interpretive Centre, Leighton Art Centre, Naval Museum of Alberta, Grain Academy Museum, Aero Space Museum, Calgary Science Centre, Glenbow Museum, Museum of the Regiments, Heritage Park Historical Village
Colleges and universities: University of Calgary, Mount Royal College, Bow Valley College, SAIT Polytechnic
Transit: Calgary Transit