2001 population: 1,251
(Source: Statistics Canada)
Dawson is a town in the territory of Yukon Territory. It is at the confluence of the Yukon and Klondike rivers.
The community was named for George Mercer Dawson, director of the Geological Survey of Canada.
Former and merged community names include:
· Dawson City
Dawson boomed with the discovery of gold on Bonanza Creek in 1896.
Local festivals include:
· Thaw-di Gras Spring Carnival - March 15-18, 2007
· Aboriginal Day Celebration - June 21, 2007
· Yukon Riverside Arts Festival - Aug. 17-19, 2007
· International Short Film Festival - April 6-9, 2007
· Dawson City Music Festival - July 20-22, 2007
Dates often change. Check Dawson web sites and events links in the sections below.
"Dawson, where the old hotels used to advertise 'Rooms $1.50, with Bed $2,' is where the yellow riches of two local creeks gave the English language new meanings for the words 'Klondike' and 'bonanza' ..."
-- The Canadians
Andrew H. Malcolm