2001 population: 878,866
(Source: Statistics Canada)
Calgary is a city in the province of Alberta. It is at the confluence of the
Bow and Elbow rivers.
The community was named for an estate on the Island of Mull, Scotland.
Former and merged community names include:
· Fort Brisebois
The community began around a fort established here by the mounted police, in 1875.
With the 1914 discovery of the Turner Valley gas and oil field west of here, Calgary grew into a corporate center for the industry.
Filming location for 2005 movie, "Brokeback Mountain" and 1978 movie, "Days of Heaven" and 1978 movie, "Superman," and sequels "Superman II" and "Superman III" and 2000 movie, "Shanghai Noon" and 2007 movie, "The Assassination of Jesse James"
Well-known residents have included:
· Bill Gadsby, hockey player
· Herbie Lewis, hockey player
· Duff Gibson, 2006 Olympics gold medal winner (men's skeleton)
· Carla MacLeod, 2006 Olympics gold medal winner (ice hockey)
· Mark Tewksbury, Olympic gold medal winner (backstroke)
Local festivals include:
· Calgary Stampede - July 6-15, 2007
· Calgary Folk Music Festival - July 26-29, 2007
· Irish Dance Ceili - March 16, 2007
· International Festival of Animated Objects - Jan. 19-28, 2007
· High Performance Rodeo - Jan. 3-20, 2007
· Dragon Boat Race & Cultural Festival - Aug. 24-26, 2007
· International Blues Festival - June 21-24, 2007
· Heritage Day - Aug. 6, 2007
Dates often change. Check Calgary web sites and events links in the sections below.
Nearby parks & recreation: Edworthy Park, Griffith Woods, Fish Creek Provincial Park, Nose Hill Park, Riveredge Park/Sandy Beach
Performing arts: Alberta Ballet, Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
Inglewood Bird Sanctuary
Attractions: Calgary Tower, Devonian Gardens, Calgary Zoo, Spruce Meadows, Calgary Stampede, Canada Olympic Park
Sports moments: Site of the 1988 Winter Olympics
Sports teams: Stampeders (CFL), Flames (NHL), Vipers (Northern League Baseball)
Historic sites and museums: Calgary Police Service Interpretive Centre, Fort Calgary, Leighton Art Centre, Lougheed House, Naval Museum of Alberta, Nickle Arts Museum, Olympic Hall of Fame & Museum, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry Regimental Museum, Calgary Science Centre, Heritage Park Historical Village, Glenbow Museum, Grain Academy Museum, Museum of the Regiments, Aero Space Museum
Colleges and universities: University of Calgary, Bow Valley College, Mount Royal College, SAIT Polytechnic
Transit: Calgary Transit