2001 population: 103,710
(Source: Statistics Canada)
Barrie is a city in Simcoe County, in the province of Ontario. It is Lake Simcoe's Kempenfelt Bay.
The community was named for Robert Barrie, naval officer.
Former and merged community names include:
· Nine Mile Portage
Well-known residents have included:
· Jeff Buttle, 2006 Olympics bronze medal winner (men's figure skating)
Local festivals include:
· Nine Mile Portage Heritage Festival - Sept. 22, 2007
· Waterfront Festival - May 18-21, 2007
· Promenade Days - June 29-July 1, 2007
· Kempenfest - Aug. 4-6, 2007
· Winterfest - Feb. 3-4, 2007
· Barrie Film Festival - Oct. 20-28, 2007
· Jazz & Blues Festival - June 7-18, 2007
· Celebrate Barrie - June 2, 2007
· Barrie Fair - Aug. 22-26, 2007
· Harvest Moon Rising - Jan. 25- Feb. 3, 2007
Dates often change. Check Barrie web sites and events links in the sections below.
Nearby parks & recreation: Sunnidale Park, Centennial Park, Allandale Station Park
Attractions: Barrie Arboretum
Popular site for ice fishing.
Sports teams: Colts (CHL)
Historic sites and museums: MacLaren Art Centre
Colleges and universities: Georgian College of Applied Arts and Technology